NORTH AMERICAN DIVISION
DEPARTMENT OF WOMEN'S MINISTRIES
The Department of Women's Ministries is committed to encouraging, challenging, equipping, and nurturing Seventh-day Adventist women as they do their part in carrying the Gospel message to the world. “The Lord has a work for women as well as for men. They may take their places in His work at this crisis, and He will work through them…. They can do in families a work that men cannot do, a work that reaches the inner life. They can come close to the hearts of those whom men cannot reach. Their labor is needed.”— (WM 145)
FW 06 Vision
The Women’s Ministries spiritual vision is to know Jesus passionately and to serve and disciple women.
FW 07 Mission
The mission of the Women’s Ministries is to lift up Jesus Christ by empowering women to discover and realize their leadership and ministry potential—within their homes, churches, and communities.
FW 10 Statement of Purpose
The primary purpose of the Department of Women's Ministries is to nurture, facilitate, and support women in their Christian lives as disciples of Jesus Christ and members of His World Church. In consultation with Administration and other departments of the Church, the department shares the responsibility for developing an evangelistic strategy and provides training to equip the women of the Church to uplift Christ in the Church and in the world.
“… We may do a noble work for God if we will. Woman does not know her power…. There is a higher purpose for woman, a grander destiny. She should develop and cultivate her powers, for God can employ them in the great work of saving souls from eternal ruin.”—(4T 642)
The North American Division Department of Women's Ministries will focus on six critical issues that are barriers preventing women from reaching their full potential: illiteracy, poverty, abuse, and the need for training and mentoring for greater involvement in the mission of the Church.
FW 15 Department Objectives
FW 15 05—In order to fulfill the purpose of the Department of Women's Ministries, eight objectives have been identified by which the women in the Church may be empowered to share the good news within their families, among their fellow believers, and in ever expanding circles in the unsaved world.
FW 15 10 Objectives
1. Elevate women as persons of inestimable worth by virtue of their creation and redemption.
2. Enable women to deepen their faith and to experience spiritual growth and renewal.
3. Underscore the broad spectrum of needs and concerns of women across the life span from multicultural and multiethnic perspectives.
4. Liaison and cooperate with other specialized departments of the Church to meet the needs of women.
5. Build networks among women in the Division that encourage bonds of friendship, mutual support, and creative exchange of ideas and information.
6. Mentor and encourage young Adventist women, creating paths for their involvement in the Church as they reach for their full potential in Christ.
7. Bring women’s unique perspectives on issues facing the Church to decision making bodies.
8. Seek expanding avenues of dynamic Christian service for women, challenging each Adventist woman to use her gifts to complement the talents of others as they work to further the global mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
FW 16 Departmental Responsibilities
FW 16 05 Responsibilities
1. Assist unions and conferences in achieving their objectives for the women in their constituency.
2. Advise and counsel unions and conferences in the structure, organization, and direction of Women's Ministries.
3. Provide leadership training seminars and workshops for Women's Ministries personnel at the union and conference level.
4. In collaboration with the Church Resource Center, develop manuals, training materials, and other program resource materials to meet the multicultural and multiethnic needs of women across the Division.
5. Heighten awareness of the talents and resources that women bring to the church.
6. Assist women in identifying their spiritual gifts and inspire them to cultivate these gifts for use in the Church's global mission.
7. Promote spiritual growth among women in the church.
8. Reclaim women who have left the fellowship of the church.
9. Affirm women who serve the church as laypersons, denominational employees, and in pastoral ministry.
10. Promote education, spiritual growth, and bonding among young women in the church.
11. Identify opportunities for service and leadership in the church.
12. Heighten awareness regarding the inclusion of women's perspectives in the decision-making processes of the church (boards and committees).
13. Maintain a close liaison with Administration through frequent consultation.
14. Facilitate the building of networks among women in the Division to encourage bonds of friendship and mutual support, and to encourage the creative exchange of ideas and information.
15. Encourage Seventh-day Adventist authors and editors to write on subjects that minister to women and to encourage women authors.
16. Work with the Office of Information and Research to obtain a statistical database in order to determine trends and gain information about the work of Women’s Ministries in the Division.
17. Recommend policies relative to Women's Ministries.
FW 17 Use of Annual NAD Women’s Ministries Offering
FW 17 05—In sharing the offering with the participating conferences and unions, it is the intention of the NAD Women’s Ministries Department to provide funds for conference and union Women’s Ministries departments to enable them to plan and conduct ministry activities and events.
FW 17 10 Uses of Offering—The annual NAD Women’s Ministries Offering shall be distributed and used according to the following guidelines.
1. The NAD Women’s Ministries Offering shall be shared as follows:
2. The offering shall be used by the Women’s Ministries Department in the conference, union, or division and restricted to:
a. Evangelistic outreach sponsored by the Women’s Ministries Department
b. Leadership training for women
c. Other projects as directed by the Women’s Ministries Department
3. All offering funds shall be disbursed in consultation with the women’s ministries director/liaison of the respective conference, union, or division.